Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Selective News

article: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/29/verizon-sugarstring-daily-dot/ Verizon is launching its very own news site, and by "very-own" I mean news that only promotes verizon and does nothing to hurt the image of the company. This sounds a little biased as to what is "important information." However, the more I thought about this, the more I realized that all media is like this. Most news organizations have someone in control of the content created by the company. I think that this means, that the companies should probably be called "News according to so-and-so." How can we be sure that this person is not promoting their agenda. Sometimes "news stories" are exaggerated to be more shocking. Sometimes the wording is phrased in such a way as to make the reader or listener believe a certain way. Ethically, this may be as bad as filtering stories that may hurt your company, but then again, where are the ethics police in the media? This made me think about the media that we consume, and the media that we believe to be true. I am not saying that no news station can be trusted, but am I following current events, or someone's agenda?

No comments:

Post a Comment