Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Eliot Jacobsen

Recently, Eliot Jacobsen was a guest speaker in our class. For me this was an excellent class period. He said something that made me question myself and a lot of the things I do. He said that we do not need to be invited to innovate. This made me realize that all too often, I wait until I am asked to innovate before I actually do. Sometimes, I am afraid to stand out and be different, or I am afraid to to have all eyes on me, or I am afraid to have recognition that others do not have. Other times it is simply that I am afraid to offend someone. When I do this, I am allowing someone else the chance of accomplishing great, while I watch them from the bleachers and make sure they do it correctly. The little discussion in class made me realize that I am way too talented to hide in the shadows. I can accomplish too much to sit back and watch. I need to be an active participant in innovation. I need to step outside of my comfort zone and accept that at times I may have the attention of everyone in the room and that that is not a bad thing. I need to not be afraid to stand out and be recognized for the great accomplishments I can do.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. Being innovative is difficult and it's often so much easier to just be part of the crowd and do what others do. I'm not exactly sure why being exceptional is scary. Perhaps it makes one feel like they're not part of group. It's definitely not zero-sum, so everyone at BYU could theoretically do innovative things. That would just make BYU an even more awesome place to be at, so I agree that you shouldn't be afraid to stand out and be recognized.

    ReplyDelete