Monday, November 10, 2014

Revolution OS

Linux is an operating system similar to OSX or Windows, except for one big difference: it is free. The designers wanted it to be free to use and free to modify. If I had never heard of it and you told me it existed, I would not believe you. There are too many corporations and too many business people to allow a free competitor to exist in the market, but thanks to a few principled individuals, it exists. Another unbelievable thing about Linux is that it is good. I am used to free toys that break the first time you use them, free hamburgers the size of postage stamps, and free programs that are so buggy you cannot even use them. The fact that Linux is so good, and used by so many people still amazes me. On the other hand, it is also amazing that OSX and Windows still exist. They have found a way to compete with free, and they are still doing well at it.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with this post! It is hard to believe some open source code, or open information websites like Wikipedia are high quality and credible. Do you think this takes away from other companies that charge for services like this?

    ReplyDelete